Earlier this summer I had a wonderful meal at my favourite restaurant in Halifax, Satisfaction Feast. One of the highlights was a delicious ginger beer. I was so impressed that I decided I needed to have a way to have it at home and set out to reverse engineer the drink. It’s an easy process and the drink is a great way to energize on a hot summer day.
- 1 large ginger root
- 1-2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- Grate or finely cut the ginger. A food processor works well.
- Repeat for the lemons.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add lemons and ginger.
- Boil for approximately 20 minutes.
- Use a strainer to separate the liquid from solids.
- Sweeten with maple syrup to taste.
- Chill and enjoy.
(The original drink was carbonated, but I think it works better as a drink without fizz.)