Saturday I hosted a games night and made a soup for my friends. It was well received, so I want to share the modified recipe I used. I was inspired by a recipe for curried coconut carrot soup from The Kitchn but added lentils, substituted in green curry paste and left the soup unblended. It’s vegan, gluten-free and one of the best soups I’ve ever had.
Curried Coconut Carrot and Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cups carrots chopped
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups or 400ml full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped ginger root
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot and add the onions.
- Sweat the onions on medium heat for about 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk.
- Add the ginger, curry powder, lentils and chili flakes.
- Put a lid on the pot and cook until the carrots are softened and lentils are tender, about 15 or 20 minutes.