Last weekend a friend had a birthday gathering in our house and I decided to make gazpacho for the first time for the celebration. I found it to be very refreshing and delicious. It was well received and I’m sure it will become a summer staple for me because it was so easy to make.
- 6 cups (about 1 kg or 2 lbs) watermelon, cut into chunks (chilled)
- 5 medium tomatoes (about 0.7 kg or 1.5 lbs)
- 1 cup chopped red onion (1/2 separated for garnish)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber (1/2 of one medium cucumber) for garnish
- In a blender or food processor, puree about half of the watermelon and transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining watermelon and other ingredients (except for the cucumber and second half cup of onion) to the blender or food processor and blend.
- Stir with the reserved watermelon puree and serve cold, topped with the diced cucumber and onion.
Although it’s best eaten just a few hours after preparation, it can be kept for several days if you insist. You can even use the leftover soup to make ice cubes, and later use the soup cubes as the foundation of a frozen Bloody Mary. Sounds like summer, right?
I recommend Vegan Cuts highly for great vegan food and other items. I subscribe to their monthly snack box and have been impressed.