Sunday my sister +Ilea-Rose Davis will be hosting a housewarming potluck at her new house, and I decided to concoct a casserole from grains, beans and seeds I had in my cupboard. This was an experiment, but it turned out fairly well. This made enough to fill one large casserole dish and one small dish, so scale back if you need less.
- 2 vegetable bullion or stock cubes
- 3 cups oat groats (uncooked)
- 3 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 5 cups black-eyed peas (cooked)
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 1/2 cups tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan sour cream
- Sriracha sauce and crushed garlic to taste.
- Bring 9 cups of water and oat groats to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, add one bullion cube, stir often and remove from heat once all water is absorbed.
- Layer groats on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add a layer of diced tomatoes.
- Add crushed garlic and sriracha in this layer (or any other, if you wish).
- Add a layer of black-eyed peas. (Soak and cook these first if being made from dried beans.)
- Sauté the onion.
- Mix onion with crushed tomatoes and add as the next layer.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add one bullion cube and quinoa.
- When the quinoa is translucent and the spiral has appeared, remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add a layer of quinoa.
- Add a layer of sour cream.
- Heat an oven to 350 F and bake for 20 minutes.