When cooking for just myself, I’ve fallen into the habit of putting together a wrap more often than not. In an effort to build some more variety into my food experiences I’ve decided to make and share a recipe each week going forward.
To kick off, I want to share an old favourite of mine, a veggie peanut stew that I first made based on Margo’s Veggie Peanut Stew in the fantastic Vegan a Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road by Sarah Kramer, my all time favourite cookbook.
Veggie Peanut StewCourse: Main DishCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 large carrot, sliced
½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 large sweet potato, chopped
1½ cups vegetable stock
½ peanut butter
1 cup tomato juice
⅓ cup roasted peanuts (optional)
1 tbsp sriracha sauce (optional)
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium soup pot.
- Sauté onion until translucent.
- Add carrot, ginger, salt and cayenne and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and tomato juice.
- Garnish with sriracha and peanuts (optional)
- The original recipe called for blending half of the stew after step 6, but I’ve found that increasing the amount of peanut butter slightly has made the stew creamy enough without this step.