My usual tofu frying technique is simply to cut up some firm tofu and coat it with Crispy Fry, but this week I decided to go a bit more complicated and make County-Fried Tofu from Hot Damn and Hell Yeah, a fantastic cookbook that features “tasty, spicy vegan incarnations of typical Southwestern (and a little Southern) food”. This recipe packs flavour into tofu with a marinating step and then coats the blocks with a three step process involving soy milk, bread crumbs and a spicy flour coating. The resulting blocks are great as burgers. In the book the process is found on 3 pages as separate recipes for the marinating, mixing up the coating and then the frying, but I’ve tried to simplify things. This recipe will produce some extra flour coating mix that can be stored and used when making the recipe again or any time a southern-style coating for frying strikes your fancy.
Country-Fried TofuCourse: Meat SubstituteCuisine: Southern, VeganDifficulty: Easy
This recipe packs flavour into tofu with a marinating step and then coats the blocks with a three step process involving soy milk, bread crumbs and a spicy flour coating. The resulting blocks are great as burgers.
1 cup vegetable oil
1 350g block of extra firm tofu
½ cup soy milk
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups bread crumbs or panko
½ cup boiling water
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2½ tbsp vegetable broth powder
1 tsp black pepper
⅛ tsp smoked paprika
⅛ tsp rosemary
⅛ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp onion powder
⅛ tsp oregano
⅛ tsp parsley
⅛ tsp basil
2 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp mustard powder
4 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger
- Cut tofu into quarters, making roughly square blocks.
- Place tofu on a clean cloth or paper towel, cover with the same, and place a heavy object on top to press out water. Leave for about an hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the boiling water, vinegar, soy sauce, broth, pepper, paprika, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, parsley and basil (using the first listed amount for each).
- Place the tofu in a container, cover with the mixture, and marinate for 6-7 hours.
- Mix together flour, salt, thyme, basil, oregano, celery salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, sugar, garlic salt and ginger to make the flour coating.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Mix soy milk and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Place bread crumbs or panko in a second bowl.
- Place ½ cup flour coating in a third bowl.
- Dip each tofu block into the soy milk, then coat with bread crumbs and finally cover with the flour coating.
- Fry until each block is golden brown on both sides. After taking the blocks from the pan, remove any excess oil using a clean cloth or paper towel.