Red lentils are one of my comfort ingredients and recently I’ve been craving curry, so I sought out Minimalist Baker’s “Spicy Red Lentil Curry” recipe and modified it a bit. This red lentil curry has a pleasant spiciness, rich flavour and a glorious colour.
Red Lentil CurryCourse: Main DishCuisine: veganDifficulty: Easy
This red lentil curry has a pleasant spiciness, rich flavour and a glorious colour.
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
½ cup carrots, diced
3 tbsp red curry paste
½ cup tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
⅔ cup red lentils (rinsed thoroughly)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground turmeric
1⅔ cups coconut milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
- Once the oil is melted, add the garlic, ginger and carrot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add curry paste and again sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, broth and water, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Add lentils, sugar and turmeric, again mixing thoroughly.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are tender, stirring often.
- Mix in coconut milk.
- If you’re not into spiciness, you can reduce the amount of curry paste you use. If you love spice, reduce the coconut milk amount.
I prefer this served with rice, but naan is also great.