Halifax has been bombarded by a tropical storm today, and on a rainy day I can’t think of a better comfort food than a vegan grilled cheese sandwich. I decided to make three varieties of grilled cheese sandwiches tonight and each was uniquely delicious.
- A loaf of garlic bread
- Daiya cheddar style slices (or another vegan cheese slice)
- hummus (I used garlic hummus)
- Earth Balance (or another vegan margarine)
- pickles (I used bread and butter)
- Veggie Breakfast Links (or another vegan sausage)
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium heat.
- Slice off two thin pieces of bread.
- Put a slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
- Add one of the following combinations on one side:
- pickles and hummus
- hummus and breakfast links sliced lengthwise
- Place the other side on top and spread margarine on top.
- Flip the sandwich onto the pan and spread margarine on the other side.
- Flip the sandwich once the underside is browned.
- Once both sides have browned, remove from the pan and enjoy.